The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Vegan times modern vibes

On 3157 Farnam St. Omaha, NE, Modern Love stands as a beacon of culinary innovation, redefining the dining experience with its unique blend of creativity and plant-based mastery. Upon entering, the chic ambience immediately sets the tone for a sophisticated yet approachable dining experience.

The interior design seamlessly combines modern aesthetics with a warm, inviting atmosphere, creating a space that is both trendy and comfortable. However, while the dim lighting may be approachable, it is difficult to really see what you are eating. Sometimes a muted tone seems wishy washy. It made me wonder, “what do they not want me to see.” What truly sets Modern Love apart is its commitment to a plant-based menu that does not compromise on flavor creativity, if anything, it enhances it. I do have to admit, I had extremely low hopes for this restaurant. As someone who has been a vegetarian for over six years, I have been let down several times.

Different vegetarian options try too hard to be meat, and they really cannot live up to those expectations. Like my mother always said, “you can’t be someone or something you aren’t.”

The culinary team, led by Chef Liam Smith, displays an unparalleled ability to transform simple ingredients into extraordinary dishes. Each plate is a masterpiece, demonstrating that plant-based cuisine can be as indulgent and satisfying as its meat centric counterparts.

The menu is a symphony of flavors and textures, with each dish telling a story of culinary craftsmanship. From the innovative appetizers to the sumptuous main courses, every bite is a revelation. Even for those who may not typically embrace a vegetarian or vegan diet, Modern Love succeeds in making plant-based dining an enticing and accessible choice. One standout dish is the Classic Mac & Shews, a culinary triumph that combines unexpected ingredients in a harmonious dance of taste and texture. The play of flavors, from the savory to the slightly sweet, highlights Smiths ability to elevate plant-based ingredients to gourmet heights.

Service at Modern Love is impeccable, with a staff that is both knowledgeable and attentive. The waitstaff excels at guiding patrons through the menu, providing insights into the culinary journey that awaits. Their passion for the cuisine is palpable, enhancing the overall dining experience.

In addition to the outstanding food and service, the restaurant’s commitment to sustainability is commendable. Modern Love’s sourcing practices align with environmental consciousness, contributing to a dining experience that not only delights the palate but also respects the planet. Modern Love is a culinary haven where innovation and plant-based gastronomy converge. The restaurant effortlessly bridges the gap between the familiar and the avant-garde, making it a must-visit for those seeking a dining adventure that transcends expectations.

Graphic by Olivia McCrossin

From the first sip to the last bite, Modern Love is a testament to the boundless possibilities of plant-based cuisine, leaving a lasting impression on even the most discerning food enthusiasts.