The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

For the love of the game

ALL PHOTOS RECEIVED BY TYSON TERRY.

Tyson Terry, 11, was born into a family of all star athletes. His father, and uncle, both being two-time wrestling state champs, Terry knew it was his turn next. 

Terry started playing football at seven years old when he joined the Little Vikes football team that was founded by his grandfather, Bob Bostwick in 1969.  

After having practices and games he realized he fell in love with the game. 

“That was just kind of my passion,” Terry said. “After that, growing up, it was just football.” 

Aside from football Terry also grew up wrestling starting at the age of five. His first year he ended up with zero wins and six losses, but as he grew older, he had become more successful. 

“I was one of the greatest in the state,” Terry said. 

While Terry was in the eighth grade COVID-19 broke loose and shut down the schools. His parents collectively decided that online was not the best option for Terry because his grades would suffer. So, they transferred him to Westside Middle School where he re-did his eighth-grade year. 

Staying back a grade gave Terry the opportunity to play high school football and wrestle all four years, which even led him to being recruited by the University of Nebraska at Lincoln as a freshman. 

“If I would have stayed in OPS for the rest of eighth grade then I would have just been sitting on the couch,” Terry said. 

Terry plays offensive guard, offensive center and defensive tackle, while on the field.  

His favorite part about football is not just winning but the team aspect of it. Including him there are 11 people on the field and since it is a team game if one person loses the game the whole team does. This is different than wrestling because wrestling is more of a one-on-one sport and you control your mistakes. 

“Having those different friendships and being able to win with my team, it helps me a lot in football,” Terry said.  

When it comes to football Terry wishes he were taller and that North would bring in the top athletes in the state to play for the team, like other schools are.  

“We have lost a few players this year, and that sucks,” Terry said. 

Since Terry grew up in a big sports family, he has always had family there for him at his sporting events. He also feels that his family are his biggest supporters. 

“It is cool to be able to have a big family that is always there for you, no matter what, not just in sports,” Terry said. 

Although Terry has not very often failed, there are many times he has felt like quitting.  

“You just got to stick it out man,” Terry said. “Not quitting builds your mental mindset, even in school.” 

Terry’s overall goal is to make it into the National Football League and get a college degree in physical therapy. 

His love for the game over the years has only increased as he continues to play.