The ELF cast and crew worked non-stop for three months to prepare for their performance.
River Fisher

In-depth: Elf the Musical

The winter musical 2023

Omaha North High School hosted its annual school musical on December 1 at 7pm, Saturday, December 2 at 7pm and Sunday, December 3 at 2pm.  

The school musical was open to all students, staff, parents and anyone else who wanted to attend. Admission for the musical this year was seven dollars for Omaha Public-School students and ten dollars for adults, children under three could attend for free. 

The Musical was based off the movie Elf released on November 7, 2003, by New Line Cinema, with Will Ferrell as the main character, Buddy, the elf. The duration of the musical was around 2 hours with a 15-minute intermission in the middle. Concessions were available for everyone who was attending the musical with hot chocolate, candy bars and more.  

Reed Schwartzbaugh, 12, starred as the main character, Buddy the Elf. Some of the other leading roles were played in the musical by Jasmine Hester ,9, as Jovie, Solan Bailey ,11, as Walter Hobbs. Ashley Phipps ,12, as Emily Hobbs and Charlie Kaaa ,11, as Michael Hobbs and many others who made the musical, the musical. 

“Tryouts for the role was pretty easy, first we would get music to practice from the show and then a few days later we would sing the music for the directors. We also had to learn a small part of a dance,” Hester said.  

The Elf musical was put together by Denise Chapman, Director and Susanna Kearney, Music director. Kearney and Chapman worked in collaboration to bring the story of Elf to life on the stage.  

Chapman works for the University of Nebraska at Omaha and is a part of College of Communication, Fine Arts and Media. 

The crew also consisted of kids from all different areas around the school, even ones who have never been in a musical before