In-Depth: Elf the Musical

In-Depth: Elf the Musical

Reed Swartzbaugh: Buddy the Elf

North high school’s musical, Elf, was presented on December 1, 2 and 3 in the auditorium. Each role was taken on by students, and the main character Buddy, was played by Reed Swartzbaugh. 

Swartzbaugh is currently a senior at Omaha North high school. Swartzbaugh has been into acting since middle school and has been participating in musicals since his sophomore year at Omaha North High School. His first role was one of the Three Little pig roles in Shrek the musical. 

“[I] enjoy acting a lot,” Swartzbaugh said. 

Swartzbaugh has also been in other musicals such as, once in this island as Ague through North, Beauty and the beast as ensemble through the Rose Theatre, and little shop of horrors as the DJ/Burnside through the Omaha public school’s (OPS) summer musical. 

Swartzbaugh got into acting when he joined his middle school drama club. It has influenced him to want to pursue a career in acting. He sees himself on Broadway and Hollywood one day. He decided to do musicals at North high when he realized they do not have a drama club to attend.  

Growing up he was not very interested in musicals. So, when he sang for the first time in front of people, he was nervous. 

“[I said] id never sing on a stage alone,” Swartzbaugh said.  

Now Swartzbaugh is starring in musicals and has gained a lot more confidence in his singing. 

During the Elf tryouts Swartzbaugh was nervous because he wanted the role of Buddy. Swartzbaugh grew up watching the Elf movie so getting Buddy as a role was really exciting to him. 

Swartzbaugh was thrilled when he found out he got the main role in the musical. 

“[Me and my girlfriend,] jumped up and down together when we found out,” Swartzbaugh said. 

Rehearsals have been a little bit stressful for him but have been fun. He feels that he has gotten close with a lot of his cast mates. He also finds that the directorial team is fantastic this year. 

Swartzbaugh has been going over lines, preparing himself for the long nights and going over the music in preparation for the Elf musical. 

Now that the musical is over Swartzbaugh feels melancholy but happy to have his time back. 

“[I am sad] it was my last musical,” Swartzbaugh said. “But I am glad we [went] out with a bang.