The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Magic behind the Hocus Pocus franchise

Halloween is a time of year that some people love and others hate, and this applies to many Halloween movies, too. With Hocus Pocus there are two Hocus Pocus movies where many people enjoyed the first one but the second is more controversial. Hocus Pocus has been a favorite for many age groups, families and kids. 

When I think of Halloween, I might think of my favorite Halloween movie or activities or even Halloween attractions. One of my favorite Halloween movies is Hocus Pocus, but I always wondered how did this movie come about. 

Hocus Pocus  

David Kirschner, a famous writer, originally wrote Hocus Pocus as a bedtime story for his kids. He later wrote the story up and submitted it to Muppet Magazine. Though Hocus Pocus was not an immediate hit when it initially came to theaters.  

This is possibly because it was released in July rather than in October or Halloween season. Many people though would say Hocus Pocus is one of the best witch movies of all time. 

Hocus Pocus is a movie for all different age groups even though some little ones may find it scary. Anyone could find this movie very enjoyable for its detailed and creative scenes, pictures, costumes and colorful Halloween colored backgrounds. Also, the catchy musical numbers and exaggerated performances make the movie extra enjoyable, especially with its Halloween setting.  

The first Hocus Pocus movie was a bigger hit than the second due to the first Hocus Pocus having a few silly moments and it is significantly darker than what was shown in the sequel. Which many viewers enjoyed.  

Hocus Pocus has very favorable actors that demonstrate the concept of Halloween. Also, many well-known and amazing actors that star in the movie, and their acting skills add character and personality to the life of the movie.  

Hocus Pocus also has very memorable quotes to the movie. Those aspects add more to the movie and make it much more detailed.  

As Hocus Pocus has a much darker and more ‘life like’ scenes than Hocus Pocus 2 it makes it feel more like a Halloween favorite and makes Halloween feel like how it was when I was younger and the traditions me and my family would do when we were younger.  

Hocus Pocus 2 

Hocus Pocus 2 the sequel was released September 30, 2022, made by Walt Disney Pictures and written by David Kirschner. Although Hocus Pocus 2 was based on the original which was released 29 years prior, much of the movie was much less dark compared to the first. Hocus Pocus 2 was more like a musical and less grim, it had a happier feel. While these two movies contrast vastly, they are still very enjoyable and still have the same main meaning 

Personally, I enjoyed Hocus Pocus 1 more than the sequel because the first one had more meaning to the movie as the second was just a continuation. It may be the sense of nostalgia that the original Hocus Pocus brings but it never fails to fill me with Halloween spirit.  

I also did enjoy Hocus Pocus 2, and the lighthearted mood it brought made it very fun to watch. I think the choice of actors in Hocus Pocus 1 was much better than the second because some of the actors aren’t the same and I think more of the same actors would have added more of the Hocus Pocus 1 feel that everyone loved.  

Overall I think that both of the Hocus Pocus movies are amazing choices for Halloween movies and will always be my first choice.