The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Dear Readers,

Coming in as a freshman in Journalism 1-2 I never would have realized the impact one single classroom would have on me. From being a writer to editor and now a future journalist I could not thank this program enough.  

In room 330 not only were stories written, but memories were made. Friends were allocated and time was well spent.  

I have learned not only to be a stronger writer but a leader and role-model to my peers.  

I have written countless stories and although my time at North is coming to an end, I will continue to write many more.  

This one singular class I took all four years of high school have left me with experiences I would not have gained anywhere else. Some of my experiences included being published on Student Reporting Labs (SRL) Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) News Hour, attending the National High School Press Association Journalism camps two years in a row and broadcasting on the schools’ announcements, Viking TV. 

All of these have allowed me to receive multiple honorary mentions even including journalist of the year.  

I have watched my other peers grow as writers and as students in themselves.  

Thank you to Vivian Landis, my editor for both years, the reason I have grown in my writing and the reason I am as passionate in journalism as I am today. She would always edit my stories the minute I turned them in and continued to motivate me even when I felt like giving up. 

Thank you to Anne Rodgers who saw the potential in me as a sophomore and reached out countless times to check in on me. 

Thank you to curriculum specialist Amanda Gutierrez who saved the journalism program and made our program stronger in the process. 

Thank you to Journalism teacher Molly Schmiets for allowing me to be myself and grow my skills as a journalist. 

Thank you to Student Reporting Labs for giving me the opportunity to be published nationally and in so learn from the experience you provided me. 

Thank you to my English teachers over the years for giving me the skills to be a better writer.  

Thank you to Computer teacher Natalie Runyon for constantly supporting me and giving me opportunities to expand. 

And lastly thank you to room 330 for being my safe haven these last four years of high school. For being my anchor when I was drowning and letting me see the world through a different lens. 

I will spend the next four years of my life at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, double majoring in Advertisement, Public Relations, and Sports Broadcasting.  

I hope to find as much safety in Lincoln as I have with North. 

Singing out as your 2023-2024 editor-in-chief, Angie Twombly.