The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Blue and gold academic achievement award

Emerson Schapp, 11, receives his blue and gold award PHOTO BY ELIZABETH ANDERSON

Omaha North High School awards students who go above and beyond in academics through the Blue and Gold Ceremony. The Blue and Gold ceremony is an academic awards ceremony to honor North students who have shown exemplary effort in their classes according to Assistant Principal, Andrew Renfro at Omaha North high and the organizer for the Blue and Gold Ceremony. 

Before the 1991-92 school year, Omaha North High School was the only school that did not recognize students with an academic letter. Academic lettering was originally proposed by the 1991-92 students. 

Sophomore, Junior, and Senior students can achieve the blue and gold award by having a 3.5 or better grade point average (GPA) in the third, fifth, or seventh semester according to Renfro.  

The award contains a chenille patch of the letter “N” along with a certificate of achievement. The letter can be earned once in a student’s career, but they can be presented the award up to three times in their high school career.  

If this is the students’ first award, they earn the letter, certificate and a Lamp of Learning pin to attach to the letter. Students presented the academic award their second or third time receive a star pin. This pin can also be added to the letter “N” according to Renfro. 

Andrew Renfro organized the ceremony and does the background work while the senior class president hosts the event. Dr. Nero, the principal, will also say a few words of praise to the students during the ceremony.  

The award recognizes the students and leaves a positive impact all around the school.  

“I feel it is an achievement that signifies a student’s dedication to their education and should be something to be proud of” says Renfro. 

Renfro also says that multiple students have come up to him to see if the list had been made and whether they made the list.  

The school created the blue and gold award to show that North High school is proud of their students’ efforts and dedication to their schoolwork, according to Renfro.