The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

A whole new world of fun

Parent Teacher Student Organization (PTSO) is a nonprofit volunteer organization where parents, teachers and students work together as a team to ensure educational excellence for the school and the community according to imatter.org. 

The mission of Omaha North High Magnet PTSO is to promote, support, encourage and provide for their students and staff according to ops.org. 

“Our next big event is post-prom, an on-campus event for seniors and their dates that runs from 11pm to 3am, after prom,” said David Holtzclaw, PTSO president. 

With a five thousand dollar budget allocated for bouncy houses, games, food and prizes, the PTSO has been gaining support through businesses, families, and friends to ensure a memorable experience for all attendees.  

“We have found that a lot of local companies are happy to help us out because they really want to make sure our students have a great event,” according to PTSO member, Denise Ibsen Cole. 

According to Cole volunteers are a crucial part of post prom. 

“This even cannot happen without volunteers. Students are going to help us move some of the items we have in storage on Friday. We would also love it if some students could help us decorate on Friday night. On Saturday night parents/volunteers and teachers are signing up now to help run the event. There are people in charge of the food, games, bouncy houses and even a movie area,” said Cole. 

According to the PTSO members there are multiple reasons to post prom, but the most prevalent is safety. 

The post-prom concept goes back decades when it was not unusual for a student to get seriously injured at an after party. Many schools and school districts start post-prom events on campus to provide an opportunity for seniors to have fun in a safe environment,” said PTSO President, David Holtzclaw. 

“Our vision is to create a fun and safe evening for North students.  Many high schools don’t have a post prom event, but many North families that preceded us made post prom a celebrated tradition and we want to keep that tradition moving forward,” said Amanda Long, PTSO member. 

Post prom will contain many events and activities to occupy students for the four hour event. 

“We have games, inflatables, amazing prizes and food lined up for the juniors and seniors and their approved prom guests.   We also will have a few quieter activities, like art and movies. We truly think we have activities that everyone will enjoy,” said Long. 

Post prom is not the only event PTSO takes on. 

“We also help run Honors Night and the Scholarship dinner on April 30, 2024 to recognize the academic achievements of our student body. We also have a teacher appreciation event schedule for May 8, 2024,” said David Holtzclaw.