The student news site of Omaha North High Magnet School

The North Star

The North Star

The North Star

Winter gear

Angelina Pur

Winter gear is essential when the temperature drops, and snow starts falling. It all comes down to dressing elegantly, affectionately, and comfortably during the chilly winter months. 

There is a wide variety of items to choose from, such as warm jackets and sweaters as well as hats, gloves, and boots. Besides keeping us warm, winter gear enables us to take advantage of all the enjoyable activities that the season brings, such as skiing, snowboarding, and simple snowman building.  

At Omaha North high school this winter season, different clubs, and organizations such as National Honors Society (NHS), Educators Rising, Squires, Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC), and the security guards are also conducting a coat drive.  

Vincent Minard, 11, who is in JROTC says their drive is important because they are giving back to soldiers who were wounded serving our county.  

North high students are also preparing for the winter season by checking their outfits and staying warm.  

Tyrus Wells, 10, said he layers up. He wears a shirt, hoodie, coat, baggy pants, or sweatpants/pajama pants. For shoes he wears dark colored shoes because you are less likely to mess up your shoes due to the snow and mud that comes with it. 

DyNesheontea Stark, 11, would recommend wearing a shirt, jacket, and coat, and for the bottoms she said pants should be fine. For shoes, mostly boots, but any pair of sneakers can work if they do not get messed up. 

Stark recommended boots because it is winter, therefore they keep your feet warm especially if they have fur inside of them.  

“Wear like some boots, shoes anything, just don’t mess them up,” Stark said.  

Samara Jones, 11, feels like you should wear long sleeves, pants, and dark clothes because it keeps the heat in. Jones prefers to have long hair because it keeps her neck warm.  

Jones recommends Uggs, because not only are they cute and a fashion statement, but they also keep your feet warm.  

Tyianna Harrison, 12, likes to wear Ugg boots, sweats, leggings, and a jacket underneath her coat. Harrison thinks it is a good idea to wear a jacket under her coat because if your jacket does not have a hood your coat does. She agrees extra layers are always better than one layer and just a coat.  

Sha’Nai Wellon, 11, wears her leggings, Tasman Uggs, black long socks, a long sleeve shirt, and a cardigan. 

The need for winter gear is at an all time high as the season continues on.