North’s unified bowling team

In 2021 North high school started their unified bowling team after not having one. This team gives students with disabilities a chance to be incorporated into the sports aspect of education.  

“I think that unified bowling is a great way to get our special education students involved in athletics because it lets them experience the athletic competition at a level that’s more suited for them, but it also allows them to engage socially with their same age general education peer,” said Racheal Anastasia, a specialized instructor at North high school.  

Anastasia is one of the coaches for the unified bowling team and is new this year to coaching the team.  

There are also student leaders that involve themselves in the unified bowling sport and help encourage the special education kids. These leaders are Halie Marx, 11, Jahcob Painter, 11, Adam Robinson, 10 and Cz’Niya Jefferson, 10.  

Students involved in the Unified bowling community at North, whether it’s student leaders or student athletes, tend to make connections. 

“Passion, faith and hope,” said Jeremiah Higgins-McLucas, 11, a student and unified bowler at North High School.  

Higgins-McLucas who is involved in many activities throughout North, such as Student council and the unified bowling team referred to how he felt about being involved and incorporated in unified bowling at North.  

“I feel happy, I made a lot of connections on this bowling team, this bowling sport has been making me feel passion,” said Higgins-McLucas.  

Overall, this year the unified bowling team has been making connections, helping the students, and also giving passion for bowling.