The new football field was set to finish by December 15, 2023 after receiving funds from the Omaha Public Schools.
OPS.ORG

A field fit for champions

Omaha North High School’s sporting scene is set to receive a boost with the grand unveiling of a new football field. From its meticulously manicured turf to its new amenities.  

SprinTurf, LLC, was awarded the bid to install the new field as the lowest compliant bidder in the district’s bidding processes for the work. Several companies from across the country bid on these projects for our schools.  

The Metro district’s Schoolhouse Planning and Construction Project Managers ensure that the work done by SprinTurf lines up with what we required in the bid.  

Each year, the District Operational Services teams evaluates all school facilities, including athletics facilities for repair and replacement.  

Field Turf has a schedule for replacement within eight to ten years, and this past year it was determined that North’s turf should be replaced as the previous turf had reached the end of its service life and was due for replacement according to the District’s master plan.  

“I expect the team to practice a lot better. The old field was beat up and damaged so it made it difficult to do certain drills, but with the new field it will make it a lot easier to do them,” said Wendell Tchalassi, varsity football senior.  

The funds for the project were approved by the Board of Education at the June 2023 meeting.  

Synthetic turf replacement, all labor, and materials for removal of the existing and installation of the new turf, including rubber infill, striping for multiple sports, logo, end zone wording and other specifics laid out by district specification.  

The total cost of the bid was 419,345 dollars, according to Eric Johnson, head of athletics at North and assistant principal.  

“It will improve the overall moral of the team and the actual performance. Receiving anything new always feels great, so to get a new field makes everyone happy,” said Tchalassi.  

As part of the bid, SprinTurf guaranteed “substantial completion” by December 1 and “final completion” by December 15. “For each day after those dates that the company does not finish their work, they are assessed damages to make up for the delay,” said Johnson.