A look into Omaha North High SkillsUSA

Olivia McCrossin, Editor-in-Chief

In 1965 The Vocational Industrial Clubs of America, (VICA) was founded by students and teachers who were serious about their professions and saw the need for more training in the areas of leadership to complement their future occupations. 

VICA’s name was changed to SkillsUSA in 2002 after being approved for national name shortage.  

Mica Apel,11, current vice president and Sara Bascom,11, current secretary have both been in skills for one year. 

“Since we are both officers, we are both in opening and closing ceremonies (OCC), which means we sit at a table and go through the steps of skills meeting. I am in digital cinematography, so basically, I make movies and show them to judges,” said Apel. 

According to SkillsUSA, in total, there are 16 Career Clusters in the National Career Clusters Framework, representing more than 79 Career Pathways. Skills came to Omaha North in 2015 and have been running consecutively since.  

“I compete in photography, so I go around taking photos and can go in and use photoshop to edit them to make them appealing to everyone,” said Bascom. 

According to the member’s teamwork is especially important.  

“For OCC we practice as an entire team, even if some people are missing, we try to practice anyways even though it can be difficult,” said Bascom.  

“You do the competition that you’re most familiar with in knowledge,” said Apel. 

SkillsUSA’s mission is to empower its members to become world-class workers, leaders, and responsible American citizens. 

“As a newer person I’ve kind of just been learning as I go,” said Bascom.