Seniors see some schools

Fall College Visits

Students+board+the+charter+bus+on+its+way+to+Doane.+They+spent+the+day+at+the+university%2C+touring+the+campus+and+talking+to+college+representatives.+

Students board the charter bus on its way to Doane. They spent the day at the university, touring the campus and talking to college representatives.

Nayera Abdessalam, Managing Editor and Backpage writer

As seniors look to the future, and the possibility of attending college next year, staff at North have set up college visits to Nebraska-area schools for prospective students. These visits give North seniors the chance to visit a college campus, meet with college representatives, and learn more about the student life of a specific school.  

Teachers and counselors have chaperoned groups of 30-40 students to the University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Wayne State, Doane University, and Northeast Community College. Schools are chosen based on student interest indicated in Naviance as well as past tours that were successful. Students took a charter bus to their destination and spent nearly the whole school day there.  

Bryan Taylor, 12, attended the UNL visit because it focused on engineering and science. He’s currently part of the Engineering and Design Academy capstone course and plans to study architecture in college. Taylor got accepted to UNL before the trip and plans on going there next fall. He wanted to tour the campus again.  

North has not had senior college visits during the school year like this in about three years due to COVID-19 and not having allocated funding. Iles wrote a grant on behalf of the counseling department specifically for college visits as part of College Access.   

“By getting on campus I think more kids [are] able to see the awesomeness that a college has,” said Iles.  

Her favorite part of the trips is seeing students’ hope and excitement at the possibility of going to college.  

There will be a trip to Nebraska Wesleyan on November 20th, and another trip to UNL in November with the exact date to be announced. Students can sign up for the visits in the School Counseling Resource Center. Seniors that would like more information on upcoming trips can contact their counselor or read the monthly Senior Newsletter in their email.