Speech, Debate gain recognition with over 50 degrees

Hannah Miller, In-depth Writer

In about two months, Speech and Debate has their Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA) and National Speech and Debate Association (NSDA) district tournaments. As a team, Speech and Debate wants to try and get as many people as possible to qualify for nationals and state.

These competitions are held across the country, a few being the NSDA tournament is in Dallas, the National Catholic Forensics League (NCFL) tournament is in Milwaukee, and the National Individual Events Tournament of Champions (NIETOC) national tournaments are in Omaha.

According to Michael Brown, speech and debate teacher, two students that have improved this month, it includes Danny Arevalo as well as another student named Cheyenne Dodge.

“They haven’t broken yet, but they’ve started to get better scores and have really started coming to their own,” said Brown.

Danny Arevalo, 12, said he has improved on his speaking skills and is currently improving on his acting.

“It’s really fun, you get to travel and meet new people from other schools. You also form a family bond with the team, it’s really exciting and I’m glad to be a part of it,” said Arevalo.

When a team competes, they can earn points and at a certain amount the team can become a member of the National Speech and Debate Association (NSDA). The more points a team earns the more degrees they receive.

When a team earns 25 points, they earn merit, at 75 they earn honor, at 150 they earn excellence, then at 250 you earn superior, 500 the team earns distinction, and then superior distinction.

“North has earned our charter status which means in the last three years we’ve earned over 50 degrees,” said Brown.