Graduation frustration ends

Staff Editorial

Although OPS students will be walking across a stage located in Iowa, they will still be receiving a Nebraska diploma.

Omaha Public Schools has recently decided to change the 2015 graduation venue.

The district’s previous decision to hold 2015 graduation ceremonies at the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s Sapp Field House was looked down upon by many students and their families due to the four-ticket limitation it brought with it for the class of 2015.

Prior to the 2014-2015 school year, graduations were held at the Civic Auditorium located in downtown Omaha. Students were allowed six tickets, and the option to purchase up to 20.

The decision of where to hold ceremonies at in Nebraska was a difficult one because The Ralston Arena wanted a 10-year commitment for future graduation ceremonies, the Century Link Center wanted a payment of $56,000 to hold all seven OPS high school graduations in two days, and the Civic Auditorium has recently been closed down.

Ultimately, the district decided to hold the 2015 graduation ceremonies at the Mid-America Center located in Council Bluffs, Iowa, for a cost of $7,000 a day. Due to a holding capacity similar to that of the Civic Auditorium – around 7,000 people- the former ticketing policy will return to OPS high schools as they gear up for the upcoming graduation season.

Many families are praising the district for their decision, and although making the trek over the bridge to Iowa might add some extra mileage to your car, being able to graduate surrounded by your friends and family will most certainly be worth it.