College admissions scandal not only affects parents, but effects the students

Jaeden Johnson, Entertainment Writer

Over 33 parents including, Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman were a part of the college admission scandal. The 2019 college admission bribery scandal is a conspiracy to influence students college admissions decisions. Parents paid college test prep organizations to secretly change their ACT/SAT score or correct the student’s answers. According to USA Today, Stanford, Yale, and the University of Southern California were accused of being a part of the investigation

College coaches were allegedly bribed to label applicants as athletic recruits. Loughlin agreed to pay bribes totaling, $500,000 in exchange for having her two daughters as recruits to the USC crew team. Loughlin photoshopped her daughter, “Olivia Jade,” an influencer’s face onto a rowing team to get her an athletic scholarship.

This mass scandal has not only effected Lori Loughlin but according to Entertainment Today, Sephora dropped Olivia Jade’s partnership “Olivia Jade Beauty.” Jade is now living with her boyfriend and has not spoken to her parents since.

New York Times reported a total of $25 million between 2011 and February 2019 was exchanged to get students into schools illegally. “Many coaches including, UCLA Men’s Soccer head coach, Jorge Salcedo have been asked to leave and will be reviewed in court.” They were accused of accepting millions of dollars to help admit students to school on false athletic scholarships.

Many deans and test prosecutors are also being reviewed in court for allegedly changing test score answers. According to CNN, if a student is proven guilty to the scandal, a student could otherwise be asked to leave the university and attend another institution to prove their academic merit on their own. Colleges are currently under investigation by the FBI.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association said, “The charges brought forth today are troubling and should be a concern for all of higher education. We are looking into these allegations to determine the extent to which NCAA rules may have been violated.”