Sparkle cheerleaders shine at the homecoming game

Sparkle cheerleader cheers at the homecoming game. The sparkles wear blue and gold to show their school spirit. Photo by Caitlin Pieters

Jaeden Johnson, Entertainment Writer

The Sparkles cheer team at Omaha North is made up of kids with different disabilities. The Sparkles program is about getting students with different abilities involved in the school and participating in activities such as cheering and being around their peers.

The Sparkles contribute to north by raising awareness for students with different abilities. Ariel Dappen is currently in charge of the sparkles cheerleading team, and she is a special education teacher at Omaha North.

“The Sparkles show the North High community that they are capable of anything, even though they have disabilities… Sparkles have just as much spirit as all the other cheerleaders, and they bring joy to many people! It is also them getting involved in the school and making them realize that they are more than just room 071,” said Dappen.

The Sparkles will be cheering at the rest of the home football games and the basketball games. The Omaha North cheerleaders teach the Sparkles their routines.

“Practices have been going great, the cheerleaders are very welcoming of the Sparkles, and work with them very closely,” said Dappen.

The Sparkles show their spirit for the North football team at the homecoming game. The sparkles should and cheer loudly.
Photo by Caitlin Pieters