JROTC marches into the new school year

Omaha North High’s JROTC Color Gurad honors America during “The Star Spangled Banner.” The flags were covered becuase of the rain. Photo by Caitlin Pieters

Zach Hansen, Business Manager

At the beginning of the school year, the JROTC Program was very busy sizing new cadets for uniforms. Once they waited for students to be done dropping and adding classes, they issued to uniforms to students in the class. They also replaced any uniforms that sophomore and above cadets have outgrown over the course of their JROTC careers.

In June 2019, a statue will be unveiled of Miguel Keith at his park and six of the best Viking cadets will be selected for the honor Color Guard for that ceremony.

“Miguel was a distinguished North High student and a member of JROTC who joined the Marines, went to Vietnam, and gave the ultimate sacrifice of his life against the enemy to protect his fellow Marines,” said Colonel Bridges, head of the JROTC program at North High School.

A park was named in his honor at 30th and Y Streets in Omaha and a Navy ship will be named for him in March 2019. A select group of Viking cadets will attend the ship’s christening.

The JROTC program provides courtesy patrols of up to 20 cadets for events such as open house, Viking Cup, and parent teacher conferences.

North High provided three other color guards before school started to open ceremonies for the new Omaha Public Schools Superintendent, Cheryl Logan, at her leadership event at Baxter Arena, the TAC Building to meet the community, and at the Florence Elementary School ribbon cutting ceremony.