SkillsUSA brings careers to North

SkillsUSA brings careers to North

October 21, 2014

SkillsUSA is here and ready to represent North.

Jeremy Weimer, the Vex Robotics coordinator, will now be leading the SkillsUSA branch at North, along with John Hankel. Weimer was helping a friend with SkillsUSA when he was fully introduced to the program, and thought that is was time to bring it to North.

According to skillsusa.org, SkillsUSA is a United States career and technical student organization serving more than 320,000 high school and college students and professional members enrolled in training programs in technical, skilled, and service occupations, including health occupations. The organization has 13,000 school chapters in 54 state and territorial associations.

SkillsUSA is an organization made to help its members succeed in life. They abide by seven goals from the national Program of Work: professional development, community service, employment, ways and mean, SkillsUSA championships, public relations, and social activities.

SkillsUSA helps members prepare to have a foundation when going into the workplace. One of SkillsUSA’s goals is to prepare members to be able to succeed in the work place and still be open to acquiring knowledge and skills.

Another one of SkillsUSA’s goals is to introduce members to the benefits of community service. SkillsUSA want all of its members to have a lifetime commitment of giving back to their community.

Employment is also a big goal for SkillsUSA. SkillsUSA wants all of its members to be successful in obtaining a job that will maximize the performance of the member. As a member of SkillsUSA you will have opportunities to network and expand you knowledge of companies, and what they expect from their workers.

SkillsUSA also helps students learn how to meet economic needs. Their goal of ways and means is for members to learn how to properly plan and participate in fundraising activities.

The SkillsUSA championships are another obstacle made to challenge members and to put them on the map. By taking part in a SkillsUSA competition members get to network with people and companies from all around the world.

Along with taking part in SkillsUSA competitions, members get to strengthen their public relations skills. Members are taught how to efficiently make the general public aware of what they are working on.

Members of SkillsUSA are incorporated in events throughout their areas. Conferences and gatherings for SkillsUSA are held constantly along with the competitions being held.

SkillsUSA is built around learning soft skills such as, public speaking or leadership skills. SkillsUSA is also made for showing off your individual skills that you have acquired.

SkillsUSA competes in competitions on the local level, the state level, and the national level. The competitions range from nail care skills, to culinary skills, to masonry skills. Anyone can join in any of the competitions offered.

Unlike other clubs at North, SkillsUSA is not limited to one type of competition. Anyone can join SkillsUSA to be a part of any offered competitions. For more information of the types of competitions available go to http://skillsusa.org/contest-descriptions/.