NSBE Beat

Tyvon Smith, In-Depth Editor

‘National Society of Black Engineers’, otherwise known as NSBE, is a national organization across the nation, founded in 1975 by six black students of Purdue University in Virginia. In Nebraska, it holds the state’s only chapter at Omaha North High with computer science teacher, Morgan Chatmon, as their advisor.

The NSBE mission statement is, “to increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.”

With holding around 25 students faithfully in this organization, their plans to kick-off the school year in the month of September are to participate in fundraising events. The following events are to host a Spaghetti Feed at North High, draw in a float in the North High homecoming parade to gain publicity for sponsors, and participate in the street dedication celebration for African American Omaha Native Cathy Hughes.

NSBE 2017-18 President Sanjaya Bolton says, “This organization allows me to have a connect with people as the same interests as me outside of the classroom, where in the classroom engineering isn’t as diverse.”

“Something to take away from being a NSBE participant is being able to show their interest in awareness in the STEM field to increase representation of overall students”, Chatmon said.

In March 2018, NSBE will hold their national conference in Pittsburgh, PA. The goal is to fly 15 students to their yearly trip where the student participants network amongst each other, as well as with the collegiate level.

Also with the help of Rita Dantzler, Communities in Schools counselor, she plans on giving more exposure to NSBE member within their community of black professionals. “Networking and using connections from the community are very important, that is what I will offer to the organization this year.”

Although NSBE is designed for African American Engineers in the STEM field, it is still open for diversity through different cultures, race, and career studies.