First year teacher navigates the challenges of remote and hybrid learning

Anne Rogers, Managing Editor

This school year has been incredibly difficult for many students and teachers. However, new teachers are not only navigating the challenges of teaching in remote and hybrid settings, but they are undertaking these challenges before ever teaching their own class in a typical setting. 

Alexandria Landolt is one of these new teachers. Landolt began teaching in the fall of 2020 in a fully remote setting, before ever teaching her own class, and she did not have the opportunity to practice this style of teaching while she was a student teacher. 

However, despite this school year presenting challenges for everyone, Landolt had prior experience in a remote setting that assisted her in her success. 

“I subbed in a variety of different districts, and a lot of subs will do online or virtual activities with kids when they can’t be there, like flipped classroom activities,” said Landolt. “Being a sub, you have to go with the flow, and that mindset was extremely helpful. You don’t always have months to establish rapport with kids; sometimes you’ve only got a day and you have to make the best of it.” 

Although Landolt began her college career studying nursing, she decided to switch to education after drawing on inspiration from one of her high school English teachers. 

After being encouraged to take a difficult English class, Landolt struggled to comprehend “A Tale of Two Cities,” the book that they were reading. She told her teacher that she felt “too dumb to be in the class,” but her teacher reassured her, and the novel eventually became Landolt’s favorite book. 

“I thought how cool it would be to be a goofy English teacher that encourages kids to believe in themselves, even when they themselves don’t,” said Landolt. 

Landolt also makes a strong effort to form a relationship with her students, even in a remote setting. She often emails students to ask them how they are doing, or to congratulate them on their work. 

“I feel like a bit of a creep somedays, but in the end, I feel like I have a lot of positive relationships with students,” Landolt said. 

Landolt is very grateful that she made the decision to study education and become a teacher. 

“I look forward to class, I just do. I get excited to present new information to my students,” said Landolt.