Freshman shows flashes of potential

Damian Frausto runs in front of teammates and an Omaha South opponent. “Hard work will take me where ever I want to go,” Frausto said. Photo courtesy of Damian Frausto

Tevin Conley, Sports Editor

Exceling at varsity level is impressive for anyone, especially for a freshman and Damian Frausto is a prime example of that. Frausto is currently a freshman running varsity cross country and making big strides to be so young.

Frausto has potential to do big things as he already has many accomplishments to be proud of including medaling in two races. He placed 15th at the Creighton Prep Invite and 14th at the Fremont Invite.

“I was able to break 18 minutes in the 5k which was a main goal of mine this year,” Frausto said.

Many runners don’t reach this milestone until later in their career so it’s rare that a freshman can perform at that high of a level. This level of excellence didn’t happen overnight though.

“Summer training was one of the ways I kept in shape for the season… but in practice the top runners Richard Marcoux and Jackson Walls really pushed me in our daily practices,” Frausto said.

Everything Frausto has accomplished has been result of hard work and dedication.

“From hills to tempo runs to some long mileage workouts we did all helped me keep my peak performance for the season,” Frausto said.

Frausto is still hungry for more medals and has the time to achieve much more. As only a freshman he plans to elevate his level of performance every year.

“In the off season I’m going to continue my training which will consist of lifting and endurance training… this will keep me in shape until the winter is over and then in the summer my training will be in full effect leading up to the season,” Frausto said.

Damian Frausto sprints next to competition. “I plan to be the best runner I can be,” Frausto said.
Photo courtesy of Damian Frausto