School to crime: A cycle of violence

Cecelia Barbosa, Opinion Editor

The lack of public school’s funding in the past few years, the heavy debates about gun control, and the increase in threats in schools across the US have become issues that simply can’t be over looked anymore.

All three have their own negative reflections on the student body and the community, however there are still blurred explanations as to what gun control is and how it relates to school funding and school shootings.

Gun control is a policy or a set of laws that look over the manufacturing, sales, imports, etc. that people use, yet it’s still overlooked.

Gun control has a long history but not a good one.

As the Washington Post reported a story on gun control, in the past the US has tried to apply this to some of the states but has never been able to change the law to a great extent because of the second amendment.

The second amendment states that people are allowed to bear arms, however this has been taken it too far.

One does not need machine gun in their home if they do not hunt or if they live in a safe neighborhood.  Yet still according to The Independent, in the US 142 school shootings from grades K-12 have happened since the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012 because a student was capable of obtaining a gun.

Once someone turns eighteen they are legally allowed to purchase a gun but the majority of these young adults are either close to graduation or have just graduated. This is giving many high school students the ability to purchase a gun.

These situations should be taken with all seriousness but nothing more has been done to stop it. And It’s not just guns contributing to the shootings but also, the school funding’s.

States that put more money toward their school’s education and mental health checks up have lower rates of school shootings according to Tara Haelle, who a journalist for Forbes.

If schools are focusing more of their money on technology or school supplies. Those factors would have an impacted on the students because they see their school cares about them getting their education. This would change the way they influence their communities, bringing down the crime and violence.

This would also be more effective in preventing or enabling the mental illness which often a leading reaction within students who commit these crimes.

According to the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) about 50% of mental health conditions begin showing signs at age 14, and the first signs of these symptoms begin at age 8 to 10 years old.

One of the main factors of why school shootings happen is because of depression, anxiety, or medication abuse .

Adults need to think more about the effect on the community and students the next time they decide to buy a gun or assist in protest of gun control. Schools still have a major impact on students when they spend 8 hours of their day in school and should be more considerate stopping the problem where it starts and taking a better look at their students.

For students, it is their job to look out for their peers as well and keep them safe by drawing attention to when someone shows signs of depression, anxiety, or seems to be having a hard time. It’s time to start speaking louder about the situations that are accruing at in schools and communities.